Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » An idea for improved documentation
Re: An idea for improved documentation [message #14696 is a reply to message #14600] Sun, 09 March 2008 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
darkwyrm is currently offline  darkwyrm
The format, if you asked me, doesn't really make a difference so long as it makes documentation less work, but wanting to have documentation accessible on the WWW in addition to right in TheIDE makes sense. No one I know really likes to work on documentation (except maybe me, perhaps), so having a collaborative effort would help a lot.

What about having a feature in TheIDE that is more or less a frontend to SVN (or CVS or whatever) for the documentation? You could make changes to the documentation from Topic++ and upload them to a "master" copy would make updates more timely -- you tend to notice problems while you're looking for something else in the documentation. This would allow you to also have a menu item which could update the documentation from the server. In addition, HTML pages could be updated from the documentation as checkins arrive. Collaborative like a wiki but allowing you to keep your own documentation up-to-date like SVN.

I'm new here, but I've done active BeOS application development for the last 6 or so years. I can safely say that the most frustrating thing about the U++ project is not being able to find information about something. The documentation needs help. Some sections are really good, but some aren't at all well-organized, others are incomplete or not at all helpful, and some sections are completely missing. U++'s learning curve is very steep because of this. I'd like to help fix that, but I can't seem to find any info on how to contribute to U++.

DarkWyrm

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [BUG] Command in temp-aux's context menu