Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » U++ Esc Interpreter, Esc Macros and templates » ESC_STRING and other questions
Re: ESC_STRING and other questions [message #14820 is a reply to message #14797] Sun, 16 March 2008 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shire is currently offline  Shire
Quote:

Well, that is true, but we are not creating another C++, are we?

This is supposed to be a simple language for simple scripts. If you are running into type issues, you have choosen the wrong
tool..

Well, simple script languages must not force user to worry about types. But even non-professional applied programmers differ string and array. Strings have many specific operations, like toupper, find-and-replace, regexp, etc, which is useless on arrays. Additionally, IMHO, majority of simple scripts work with strings hard, and I cannot imagine script language without native string type with standard operations.

Quote:

Sure, you can easily add more, but to isolate "dangerous" File I/O, what I suggest is enough IMO.

Yes, it will be enough.

Optimization of map can be done in three ways:

1. Introduce new internal type, ESC_DICTionary - internally VectorMap<String, EscValue> - the most effective way, it can remove the difference between global and map.
2. Initialize map with EscDictionary (derived from EscMap and convert it to EscMap when user appends first non-string or non-number key. It is difficult to determine string and non-string.
3. Introduce new type ESC_STRING. Can be combined with 2.

IMHO 3. is the best.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: ESC and the path of Package