FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Ubuntu 8.04
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15483 is a reply to message #15481] Sat, 26 April 2008 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I was testing a bit Kubuntu8.04, also with KDE4.

I still didn't migrate yet, because I'm connected to Internet trough some pre-historical USB ADSL modem for which I have to compile driver, and the newer version of kernels and "improved" drivers didn't work as good as the old one I did work out in Kubu6.10. So I never managed to get away from original 6.10 install, where "everything just works" and I'm used to it.

But as the support will end for 6.10, I will have probably to upgrade finally. 8.04 with KDE4 looks like nice fancy toy for hardcore geeks and KDE4 apps developers, not very usable as ordinary desktop yet.
The classic KDE3 looks very tempting and worked quit ok during tests (still I hit several problems, but nothing what would stop *me* ... I feel just sorry for non-tech users trying it out).
And I did cancel the ADSL line anyway (if you live in Czech, you probably know which $*#@$&#@ company I'm parting with, yes, it's 2 letters), within 3 weeks I will hopefully not need that damn modem ever again, so another reason to not upgrade will be gone. (Although I'm not sure when I will be again online from home, and using linux without Internet is ... well ... sort of difficult Smile ... and LIMITED, that's the right word)

I'm planning to test U++ on kubu8.04 too, but there's always something slowing me down or more important to solve. Sad

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message