FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » GIT
Re: GIT essentials [message #25289 is a reply to message #24373] Tue, 16 February 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
[quote title=Novo wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 06:40][quote title=andrei_natanael wrote on Tue, 12 January 2010 04:58]
Novo wrote on Tue, 12 January 2010 07:07

After a short research I chose "monotone".

2) I personally have ~30 packages in my MyApps. I do not want to checkout this mess all the time. I want to checkout a project and get only necessary packages. And when I update my project, I want these packages get updated. But in case when I use an external code, I do not want it to be updated all the time. I want to "rebase" it manually.

this is indeed a major issue with git. you cant say to one of your projects in your git repo "update to a certain revision", while leaving the rest of your packages beeing up to head revision i.e. thats because git is trating the entire base directory as content as mentionend by someone. you could check out earlier commits, but that would probably also change the state of the other packages, f they had been worked on meanwhile. in that case, svn is usefull actually..

i'm not that experienced in git to provide a workaround to this. probably the solution lies in an inteligent branching workflow. so one could checkout branch and rebase there some stuff needed from other packages or the like.

but since git is cheap, one could use a repo for each project as well. this is the apporach Xorg is doing, if you take a look inside the buildscript, the pull a bunch of repos, not just one.

i still believe, git is to be favored above others, since it's the most promising technology, not neccesarily because its the best, but because its a de facto standard in Open Source now and is pushed there. new promising technologies like u++ can profit A LOT, just by sticking to some stadard interfaces. the time of svn is running out.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message