FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » GIT
Re: GIT [message #24587 is a reply to message #15990] Mon, 25 January 2010 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm trying to get the grasp with GIT too, at least reading such articles, but I have difficult times as well.

I never hit any merge problems with SVN hard (thanks to my limited usage of it mostly, and little to my understanding how to do it in proper SVN way). My biggest problem with SVN is accidentally hitting commit with unfinished log message.

That said, the git does solve very little of my problems, as you can see. I think if I would join a more OSS project with more distributed decentralized development, I would hit limits of SVN much harder and welcome GIT.
And that's probably true for future of U++, I think in the long term (10+ years) it's inevitable to further loose the connection to mirek so the U++ would survive even without him later. If there will be still a point to have C++ framework at all. Very Happy But right now I feel very confused by GIT. I can see easily how Linus would be unable to work with SVN, but for the scale of project I work on, SVN fits it almost perfectly. :/

Yes, I'm sort of ranting I did expect bigger magic from GIT. And at the same time admitting it's superior. Looks like I'm crazy or momentarily confused too much.

But keep these things coming, I think at this rate I will try to use GIT in next months, after all it never hurts to learn something new, although in my case it keeps pushing the older things out of my head, so I have to choose wisely what set of technologies I do support at the same time. Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message