Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » GCC code size optimizations on ARM - GNU/Linux - uClibC
Re: GCC code size optimizations on ARM - GNU/Linux - uClibC [message #16511 is a reply to message #16510] Wed, 18 June 2008 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
chickenk wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 12:39

Hi everyone,

I am currently using theIde as a cross platform IDE for my embedded platform based on an arm926t core, running linux. So far so good, theIde is very useful and easy to configure to use a cross-toolchain.

I made a few test in compiling sample apps based on the Core library as well. Using my arm-linux-uclibc toolchain and a few customizations in the Core library to avoid MMX/SSE detection and other assembly code, I get a 456kB output file for the Core06 example.

In an attempt to reduce the output binary code size as much as possible, I added -ffunction-sections to the compiler options and --gc-sections to the linker options. It used to be a great solution for me on some previous projects. All I got is... 453kB. Not much better. That also means that the source files are well defined, since wrapping sections over object files or over functions is quite the same.

Then I added -fdata-sections to the compiler options, and this time, the size is reduced to 260kB. Great improvement, but makes me wonder:

does anybody here suspect this optimization to make my apps miserably fail later ? I will make tests of course (I'm sharing the device platform so I cannot right now, but tomorrow probably), but I may miss something that someone here already knows about the U++ library that needs this option not to be set.

Anyway, I'll try to give you informed of my results, if anyone interested...

Lionel

Wow!

These are very interesting news - all of them Smile

Please keep us informed about everything you are doing with ARM.

I am very surprised with data-sections results; maybe they could be applied to regular linux as well. I was not even aware about this option:)

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Link error on Linux
Next Topic: FreeBSD: Help, I've lost my templates ....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 14:15:16 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01664 seconds