Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ infrastructure server...
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16749 is a reply to message #16747] Wed, 09 July 2008 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
captainc wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 18:20

While I'm not an official Upp developer, I suggest the use of VMs. I have built Upp and Upp apps with great success using Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu as the Host. Compilation speeds are close to native.

I've been using vmware on ubuntu host for about 1.5 years, after the *very last* virus attack on win xp... and I was very happy with it too.
But, it does one caveat... You must assign a ram size to the machine, which is locked by it (AFAIK...).
In particulaw with windoze guests, it becomes quickly memory hungry.

Quote:

The only snag is that the VM only allows for using a single core per operating system. Other VMs might be able to take advantage of multi-core processors. In any case, this won't be an issue if you have multiple VMs running, which would then be able to utilize the dual-core processor.

VmWare can use all processors on a single machine... but I agree that it's not the most important stuff, in particular with a build server. You don't need a lightning speed for building, IMO.

Quote:

VirtualBox has the fastest VM solution I have seen when using a UI. It beats the pants off of VMWare for this, but I believe a Xen like solution would be best if you didn't use the desktop UI capabilities.

On a final note, I have Vista 64-bit running on one machine and a 20mbit/5mbit internet connection. I would not be opposed to setting something up if you require a build for Vista 64 platform.

I'm using wine since I could run autocad on it, so by now I can see the difference.... and wine is usually a bit faster (and less memory hungry) than VM.
But you touched the *only* true caveat of wine... It's limited to 32 bit windows apps. So, no build for 64 bit on it...

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Documentation and Topic++
Next Topic: Assist++ future
Goto Forum: