Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Maintaining release?
Re: Maintaining release? [message #17103 is a reply to message #17068] Tue, 29 July 2008 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I think there *will* be need for "fixed" release after 2008.1, but I don't care whether you will call it 2008.2 or 2008.1.1 (I think .2 is easier, and the new features can be planned for .3 or 2009-2012 whatever Very Happy )

So let's release 2008.1, make a branch on SVN, make sure it contains everything it is needed to build all platforms releases from that branch, and let's do any FIXING on that branch, after some time re-release it as 2008.2. (and eventually .3 or more)

In the meantime let the havoc happen on trunk to prepare next *new* release, and release it when it will be ready.

This way there's still one big problem, the development will be split between new version, and fixed 2008.1 one. With so few core developers this doesn't sound good, and I think the only way to not waste time is to do on the fixing branch just the really important system fixes, and guard everyone to not add anything to it. The development should proceed only at trunk branch, which can be than used to produce dev releases, which can be used by people who want to be on edge of development.
(although this will lead to situation where "fixed" 2008.2 released *after* some dev release will lack new features included in the dev release, so I think the naming of dev releases should reflect this in some way, if you can estimate the work needed for next new release and it looks reasonable to happen after 2008, the "dev2009.x" may save lot of confusion in such case Smile )

That's my opinion.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 July 2008 10:13]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: rc2
Next Topic: Ubuntu dependencies...
Goto Forum: