Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17063 is a reply to message #17061] Sat, 26 July 2008 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

Your 'proposed' file structure... well, that's a bit more problematic. You say 'every app has it's own directory'.
Just think at 'path' problem and you'll see that's not manageable, OR you loose the ability to run apps from command line. Second problem... where do you put config files ? in app folder... impossible, unix doesn't have a *reliable* way to locate executable location. So it must be in a 'fixed' location, which could be /apps/myapp/ or, as it is by now, /etc/myapp.

running apps from cmd - how many apps do you run from cmd daily? Maintaining PATH variable is not problematic to me.
'path problem' - what problem ??
config files - user configuration file in /users/../.appname, global app settings somewhere in app instalation directory tree (where exactely it dosn't meatter)
unix doesn't have a *reliable* way to locate executable location - I'm not unix expert - please explain what's the problem. Besides we're mostly interested in linux not all unixes. I don't see a problem in fixing this on system level (whatever this problem is Smile )
Quote:

But the real, big problem are share libraries, as usual. Just look at windows, they name it "dll hell" because of something.
Do you want a truly 'shared' dll ? so it must be located on a fixed location, which is by now /usr/lib. Being so, if your app needs an upgraded shared lib, you must install it along the one already present --> dll hell problem.
You want to call it 'shared' but be sure that each app calls 'right' lib ? so put it in a by-app location, you solve dll hell problem but you can have 20 identical shared libs loaded in memory by 20 different apps.... I guess that's done, more or less, with .net apps.

No I don't want any dll/so hell. For example my kde instllation uses qt 4.3. Application x use qt 4.3.1 so it KEEPS IT IN ITS OWN DIRECTORY. What's more - even if it uses exactely the same version it also has its own copy. I will delete kde - my app run will be still able to run.
Of course some files must be shared like xorg libs or kde libs. In my filesystem you would have /kde/3.3, /kde/3.4, /xorg/4.0, /xorg/4.2. System could hold in memory structure with that paths, so every app could read it and determine where files it needs are located and if the version they need exist.
I'm not scared about 20 identical shared libs loaded* (typicaly you have 10/15 apps run - and if you have more than 1gb that's no problem). I just want my app run without problems. I want it to be easily located and removed if necessary.
I agree with you about 'uniform' filesystem structure, but I don't want ubuntu to be that one.

* I'm also not scared about my cpu/gpu temperature. It's the same kind of fear Wink It exists only in people's psyche but has no effect in reality.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:59:08 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05128 seconds