FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » (Possible) Serialization issue
Re: (Possible) Serialization issue [message #18931 is a reply to message #17235] Sat, 01 November 2008 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 04 August 2008 01:21

Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 03 August 2008 16:03

Thanx. And what about renaming? I understand compitibility issues, but don`t you consider "no surprises" idea importance?
Well, I do not see any surprise here.
Well, I returned to old topic because could finally summarize what is really a surprise here. The main surprise is when Serialize() is called and you can`t determine if it is REALLY a loading process or a storing. Why is it a problem? Loading (and saving) process may be followed by lengthy GUI updates or some other initializations including file/database work.

For example, on saving, my app generates a number of directories and files, then archives them with external utility. This was thought to be called rarely because it takes moderate amount of time and system resources (and these files have to be kept along a number of app runs). But each time I start application these files are re-created and re-archived because LoadFromFile() calls Serialize() with stream.IsStoring() == true. This situation will be complete surprise for those who use LoadFromFile() and didn`t read this topic.

IMO the idea of U++ error correction on serialize is wonderful. But user usually needs to know a little more about current serialization stage.
OK, I consider strong influence of compatibility requirements, so renaming LoadFromFile() is no more an option. The solution here could be adding some additional function like stream.IsXXXXXXX() which will guide real internal serializarion direction to be used internally by U++, while IsStoring()/IsLoading() could return general "user-level" serialization direction (IsLoading() always == true on LoadFromFile() ).

[Updated on: Sat, 01 November 2008 11:55]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Core/Ol_Set.cpp should to change!
Next Topic: [solved!] XML serialization and relative paths
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 15:00:38 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02099 seconds