Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro?
Re: Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro? [message #17702 is a reply to message #17701] Tue, 26 August 2008 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
amrein wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 19:29

Because upp is not part of the default OpenSuse repository (I mean, on their website). The install tool only show what is available in their repository.

Yes, you are right! It shows the online package version. If all goes well maybe we can include it there. openSuse has the Factory system, which allows users to upload packages. I guess having Suse and Mandriva online packages in third party repository could help a little in boosting U++ popularity. AFAIK, Ubuntu deb is not in any official repository.

Quote:

With OpenSuse, the two way I found to install an external rpm are:

- with command line ("Yast -i" or "rpm -i").
- with YaST install/remove tool. But only if the rpm distributor have made a repository specially for OpenSuse. You then need to add first this repository.

There is also "zypper install <package>", but as YaST interface, it only works for packages in online repository. It is similar to apt-get, yum and urpmi. I wish people would stop inventing their own package manager front-ends.

Quote:

There's also perhaps another way, because I saw a few page on the web with a special "click me" button for quick rpm installation. Something like " click me and I will install this package X from this website " but just for Suse distro.

That's the "one click install". It automatically registers a repository, and downloads and installs a package together with it's dependencies. Very useful for KDE (getting the latest 4.x) and other huge packages.

Quote:

It works here without problem.
I think you should update your distro with last bug fix.
Options for update (like MS Win update) are in YaST. Mine was buggy even before I tried U++ then I've got the updates and no problem since.

I'm up to date and still get crash. I'll try to clean system and do a reinstall to see if the problem persists.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message