Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro?
Re: Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro? [message #17719 is a reply to message #17525] Wed, 27 August 2008 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
There's something wrong in building rpms each night: for me there is no interest for end user and it could be a very big waste of time.

There are 2 types of users:

1. Those who want to use and work with U++ and TheIDE
2. Those who want to contribute and work on U++ and TheIDE source code and send improvements/patches

The fist category wants stable release (deb, rpm). The second category wants access to the svn source code and wants to build Ultimate++ themselves. None of them need everyday rpm build.

Quote:

*EXCELLENT* work, thanks a lot.

Might we open a discussion how to do this each night automatically?

IMO, we will need 4 chroot environments, correct?

I guess I should setup something like SFTP on "infra" server so that maintainers can establish (upload) chroot environments required for builds.

IMO, we perhaps need some unified scripting interface to make everything work too..

cbpporter talked about OpenSuse "having the Factory system", which allows users to upload packages and build them for many distro on OpenSuse website. Their factory source code is available online (must register to download it).

They don't use chroot but VMWare to simulate all those distro (virtual machines) and have automatic package build from them. We could use VirtualBox instead of VMWare (VMWare is faster and have more options but not so much).

The difference is not so big between virtual computers and real computers. With virtual machines, you can clone the virtual computers easily (on any new installed server). You can make snapshots with one click. You can ask the virtual machine to go back to a previous snapshot with one click to get back to a working and clean build environment. You don't have issue with dbus/sys/proc/hal/... You don't have to mess up with scripts not working because of "chroot ." in another distro root.

Really, I said that it was the easier solution. I didn't know about Novell factory. If people like Novel/OpenSuse use virtual machines, I think they know what they are doing.

Note: This build architecture will be needed for next Ultimate++ release. How many time before 2008.2?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message