Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro?
Re: Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro? [message #17722 is a reply to message #17719] Wed, 27 August 2008 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

There's something wrong in building rpms each night: for me there is no interest for end user and it could be a very big waste of time.

There are 2 types of users:

1. Those who want to use and work with U++ and TheIDE
2. Those who want to contribute and work on U++ and TheIDE source code and send improvements/patches

The fist category wants stable release (deb, rpm). The second category wants access to the svn source code and wants to build Ultimate++ themselves. None of them need everyday rpm build.

I have to agree. Normal users want stable releases. Even I use stable releases most of the time and for all official stuff, and maintain some patches until next dev if I need a fix. Of course, on my hacking machine where I experiment with stuff, I have all the source dirs linked to svn and remain always up to date, except when I'm doing some experimental patch.

But having a working make system that does all the building for all targeted distros is a must, and if the machine is working there is no reason to not do nightly builds, even if most users will stick with stable packages.

What would be better than nightly builds would be to create some kind of Update packages once a small number of bugs have been fixed. These updates must not break anything. If a user downloads 2008.1, he/she will most likely stick with it. But if offered 2008.1 Update 1, which is identical to 2008.1, except for fixed bugs, there would be incentive to upgrade. This is similar to current systems with dev builds, but devs have free form content (like the new allocator that was introduced some while ago and needed some testing before it was proven stable) which offer few advantages for users who want stability. So basically I propose smaller and more frequent updates which are guaranteed not to break anything (except accident of course), and when new features or changes are included, some beta/rc packages followed shortly by by new release and removing dev releases.
Dev branches can be checked out from svn by all developers/testers.

Quote:

Note: This build architecture will be needed for next Ultimate++ release. How many time before 2008.2?

I don't know when Mirek wants it, but basically I think the sooner the better.

I don't think that with current release schedule we'll have a 2008.2 (but a 2009.1), but probably we'll get to 2008.dev-2 by winter.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message