Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Pick overloaded by Rvalue?
Re: Pick overloaded by Rvalue? [message #19280 is a reply to message #19265] Mon, 24 November 2008 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
captainc wrote on Sun, 23 November 2008 21:53

The problem with Java/C#/etc.: They require an interpreter and thus will always be slower/require more memory than C++ equivalents.

No, not an interpretor. Just in time compiler. I am a hobbyist compiler technology nerd, and I think that at least .NET just in time compiler can generate code comparable with native compiler. It is theoretically the same optimizer that works on the internal tree, but this time the tree is expressed in CIL. The performance difference comes from start up JIT time, start-up huge library dynamic loading and of course GC and abundance of references and deeper indirection level than in C++ code. If we were to use GC in C++ and program in a style that uses the same number of references and level of indirection, I think C++ would be as slow as C#. But I think that C# is close to the borderline where it is not considered slow. The problem is that it is still to slow to to write a Linux kernel in it and it also lacks some features to become a system programing language. And there is no way I can use it with a clear conscience on a 450Mhz machine, where my optimized C++ code blazes by and uses 1/5 of the memory consumption as the equivalent C# app.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project
Next Topic: Fantastic work!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 12:37:12 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00405 seconds