Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Libraries and TheIDE: i18n, Unicode and Internationalization » Basic character set analyzer
Re: Basic character set analyzer [message #19571 is a reply to message #19546] Wed, 17 December 2008 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

I've continued experimenting and reached an interesting conclusion: X does some very basic character substitution and composition for Latin characters.

I tested pretty much every font that doesn't have Latin-1 Supplement support and it seems that if the given font has basic Latin alphabetic characters, it will manage to draw also those from the supplement by doing on the fly composition. The results are pretty good. I think we can skip substitution for the supplement if alphabetic characters are available. If alphabet is not available, we need to substitute those characters and use probably the same method you used for replacing Latin characters for Font::COMPOSED.

Also, X tries to compose missing characters from Latin Extended-A. Some fonts handle this OK, but most will either fail, or draw a rectangular outline and superimpose the root character of the composition. E.G. if I have a very strange "L" with dots on it's right, I will get a box and a normal L. In this case I don't know which is better. Using substitution will result in a correct character, but quite likely the typeface will be different. Using X scheme, we get the same type face, but the result is ugly.

This is what I was just about to post this when I realized: Maybe X is not the one who is doing the composition. Maybe It's U++ with the mechanism I mentioned earlier! Am I right? Or is the composition used only under Windows. I couldn't figure it out by testing under other application, because all feature under a form or other font substitution. Does anybody know a very primitive plain X editor which can choose it's font. Or maybe a font exploration tool for Linux?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message