FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Subpixel rendering
Re: Subpixel rendering [message #20143 is a reply to message #20142] Sat, 21 February 2009 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
chickenk wrote on Sat, 21 February 2009 12:48

Are you following Maxim Shemanarev's advices about RGB subpixel rendering for fonts (very interesting article, I give the link for interested people: http://antigrain.com/research/font_rasterization/index.html) or another technique of yours?

Well, I have seen that. One thing I do not really agree about is discarding the hinting information, but I have used links there to get info about low-pass-filter etc...

Quote:

In his examples, it seems obvious that the result is much more interesting with RGB subpixel rendering, when done correctly.
But indeed there is not so much difference between your two pictures.

Actually, if you download Maxim's demo of subpixel rendering, there is not so much difference either.

Also, very likely, arial font is not the one most useful here.

Quote:

Can you show us a sample with a smaller scale factor? Maybe small fonts could make the difference more obvious. If not, then maybe it's not worth it... Is it much slower ?

Well, look at "White" text in the example. IMO there is some visible difference...

In any case, subpixel rendering seems to add about 100 lines to Painter, something we can easily afford as option.

BTW, Painter will be the single software renderer to support subpixel rendering for non-text shapes Smile (cairo only does it for texts, AGG does not really seem to support subpixel rendering).

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message