Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » C++ language problems and code snippets » I don't get some aspects of STL ... [pointless rant]
Re: I don't get some aspects of STL ... [pointless rant] [message #20453 is a reply to message #20441] Thu, 19 March 2009 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I'm sorry to disappoint you if you're looking for some enlightening comments that will help you appreciate STL better. Coming from NTL it will allays suck.

I never used STL for extended periods of time, and it's ugly design is probably the reason for it. At first I used Delphi for serious development, then MFC which had it's own containers. Then U++. And STL here and there in between.

But my latest effort in a small utility tool needs to use STL and I'm quite hatting it. I took me over an hour to load a file in memory. There is no LoadFile. I had to use a file stream, go to the end, take the position, compute the size, go to the start then allocate the buffer and read. I found that there is a flag you can use in the constructor so that the file cursor is positioned at the end of the file, so now I have take position, go to start, read. A lot shorter. The result of my efforts was an aptly named LoadFile function Smile. Something like this should be part of the standard library. Loading files line by line is OK, but when creating parsers, loading the full file is often a must.

Also, other useful conversion functions seem to be missing. Try converting and int to a string, or vice-versa. You have basically two options. A stringstream and <<, or c string with a local buffer of fixed size and itoa. One would think that such basic conversion would be part of a general library, or at least string + int would work, seeing as strings don't convert to char*.

Iterators are also incredibly ugly and verbose. and the worst part is the lack of uniformity. I can navigate a vector or string by index, but that's about it. Delete for example needs and iterator. Even on vector. Deleting the fifth element is a simple as v.erase(v.begin() + 4).

Other gripes: wstring is again somewhere between Unicode 1 and 1.1 and wchar_t is 16 bit or 32 bits depending on platform. This wouldn't be a problem if STL would be Unicode aware, but it's not.

And please, include boost::format already. I hate cout<< because setting output options is again ugly and verbose. cout.width(10); cout << 100 << endl; cout.width(10); cout.flags ( ios::right | ios::hex | ios::showbase ); cout.width (20); cout << 100;
Yes... right... ahem...

But will all this, STL is really great. Looking both at the history of C/C++ and also current OSS projects, STL is a blessing. Every single C and even C++ project I have seen defines it's own int_t, int32_t, int32, int_32, __int32 or other variants of basic types. Also, prefixing it with the name of the library or the first letter is very popular: gint, fint, glint, axiom_int. If you want your programs to be portable and sizes of types are so different, than the standard should have a type that is guaranteed to accommodate some restrictions. You need a 32 bit integer? The standard says you need _______int_std____C__or_C___ESCP_ESCP_32_bits. There! Problem solved. This way not every single header will define these types. Actually, there is stdint.h, which offers a little more friendly names for types like int32_t and int_least32_t.

But redundant typedefs are only the tip of the iceberg. The problem is that every single C lib reinvents basic containers. Try building an application by combining open source libraries. In a project I ended up with 3 C string types and two C++ string types. Ironically the two C++ types were normal std::string, and normal std::string which support NULL values for DB interactions.

So basically, for every C++ library that doesn't invent it's own vector, STL gets on huge award and my gratitude. IMO it is a lot better if everyone uses the same ugly library, rather then them using separate libraries, which will always overlap in functionality and are often ugly to.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Multiple statements in for loop
Next Topic: overloading operators rules
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:30:35 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02851 seconds