FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Using LLVM to compile U++
Re: Using LLVM to compile U++ [message #21440 is a reply to message #21356] Wed, 20 May 2009 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Very interesting. I've been keeping an eye out for LLVM and am waiting for clang to produce a stand alone non GCC based front-end, but it's good to see that the GCC front end is so mature.

I am going to try it out when I have some free time, but until then I have a question: what format are the intermediate files generated during compilation? Do you get LLVM bytecode which is converted to native during final link version, or is the LLVM bytecode phase not visible and after the compilation of a single translation unit you get a native object file? If object files are LLVM, maybe it would be possible to produce a platform independent compiled version of a library. This idea has IMO immense potential.

Also, I didn't know about the intentions of FreeBSD. Quite a bold move. I'll look it up on the Internet. It seems that even FreeBSD might have its uses Smile! (I am not trying to insult FreeBSD or it's fans here).

Thank you for trying this out.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: C++ Server Pages (CSP)
Next Topic: #error Unknown CPU architecture?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:31:50 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02721 seconds