FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Documentation » Improving the organization of U++ help
Re: Improving the organization of U++ help [message #21652 is a reply to message #21650] Sun, 31 May 2009 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
Quote:

I guess for starters, you can use what we have, just add one T++ topic with this summary that links to existing parts, leave non-existing topics without links.

Add a topic? Where? How?

Links? You mean a hyperlink? So you can't have a topic such as "Moveable" appearing directly in both UsedPackages->Core->Documents as well as in UserManual->Library->Overview->Moveable?

Quote:

Quote:

Is it possible to auto-generate a pdf of the whole lot - including indexed table of contents. If pdf is too hard or nobody has acrobat pro, then html like the website.

With some effort, yes.

Would it be automated?

Quote:

Maybe, but with current "traffic" this is now least of concerns..

Well if documentation is better organized, traffic might improve because people will be able to see what needs doing and also will be able to more easily find the topic they have something to contribute on. If people think their work will be ignored (as some of the tutorials contributed in the past have been) or conflict with someone else, they're not gonna be interested in contributing. A visible process is needed.

Will contributions and modifications be accepted blindly without checking? Revision control would help a lot.

Quote:

Ehm, this is what "finishing" T++ was about?

I've only loosely been following Upp for the last 3 years so I don't know what's been done. Do you think you could spell it out for me?

Say I put the cursor on the call to Add in button.cpp example, and press Ctrl Q. It shows two Add functions in the navigator bar. Click one and I get taken to the code. Click the little blue square box and I go to the topic++ editor for the docs for that function. How do I get to the help info for that function without being in topic++ editor mode? (yes, I know mouse-over of the little blue box gives a popup but I want to jump into the help).

Quote:

Yes. "Index entry"

I see the "index entry" combo box in the topic++ editor and I notice stuff turns green where I've inserted "indexes" but I don't see any index turning up anywhere and no info about it in the help for topic++.

Another problem is if you enter a search term in the help search box, the term isn't highlighted in the topic content window and there's no way to step forward and backwards through the list of matches like most search mechanisms have.

Graeme

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message