FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » TabBar Major Revision
Re: TabBar Major Revision [message #22112 is a reply to message #22103] Thu, 18 June 2009 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
piotr5 wrote on Wed, 17 June 2009 17:31

well, that was my traits of thought. judging by your usual enthusiasm to implement something new, I would guess your hesitation in this case is a result of having similar thoughts.
even the self-justification "they are small" does sound as if such a solution wouldn't be what you want. maybe you did "forget" thinking of animated gifs when writing that?

You summed up my thoughts very well Smile Basically I'm just not sure there is a 'best' solution for this. The method I outline above is the most general one I can think of, but as you point out it has potential problems.

In the case of TheIde tabs (and possibly FileTabs if I removed the custom icon ability) I would not save the Images but just get them from the filesystem at load time.

Excuse for possibly bad thought, but why don`t you use file extension instead of tab icon? 
I.e. you may write it inside rounded rectangle with remarkable color, then goes filename w/o extension. 
And that`s all. No possible extensions after filename. Possible extensions could be shown with tooltip of tab caption.

I don't like the idea of hiding the stacked tab information behind a tooltip, it would just make it hard to use IMO. Making something like this is easy though (simply overloading 2 functions does it):
index.php?t=getfile&id=1804&private=0
But I don't like it very much. I think icons are more difficult to read, even if not disabled/greyed out as in this shot.
  • Attachment: TabBar.png
    (Size: 8.79KB, Downloaded 766 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 18 June 2009 11:01]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Docking package (plus examples)
Next Topic: Splash Screen for Your applications!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 11:16:47 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01946 seconds