FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » New packages announcement
Re: New packages announcement [message #22045 is a reply to message #22036] Mon, 15 June 2009 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
I really don't want to go off-topic. a discussion of which language is better or which philosophy has its merits is beyond this thread and beyond my own knowledge. so I probably should repeat what I just wrote above:

c is designed in a way that it is impossible to implement type-checking without breaking working code. if you want that, then you need to extend c++ or similar (like the java8 that was suggested). even python is a better starting-point than c! 0-terminated strings are theoretically faster than anything else
since on processor-level testing for zero takes much less ressources than comparison or even a seperate counter. therefore I can understand the design-decision of c. if you want working code, don't write in c, it's easy. and as far as I learned in school, it is absolutely impossible to create a code-checker which would be able to predict all crashes. I think people writing programs in old c has nothing to do with desire for working or non-working code, I rather think it's a personal decision on how much influence one wants to have on the compilation-process vs. having all the gory details hidden. seemingly programmers don't want to get the magic hidden from them. my choice would be a more low-level language than c, but apart from assembler there doesn't exist anything. you seem to seek something which is higher-level than c, and here you have a very large range of programming-languages to test out. that's why I fail to understand why you wish to create yet another one. with so many theoretical concepts on how a programming language should look like, all around the world, you can never claim that you know them all -- even less that what you plan to create wouldn't already exist somewhere. my favourite programming-language was Sather (because of its innovative use of iterators and its c-alike philosophy). then I noticed that all the stuff I liked about it is already present in c++ (one can write std::accumulate(it1,it2,0) and similar things to get what sather has managed with its iterator-concept). I liked Sather because it's low-level and because it requires shorter sourcecode (than assembler). in upp I can see this is also a viable goal for c++. I did know of c++ before knowing of Sather, I just didn't know it well enough to judge. but naturally, I really see no advantage of c++ over c except for the shorter source-code, so if you want to extend it in any direction it can only be an improvement. but I see no use in extending c into a higher level language. again my question: why did you choose c as a basis? the stuff about bison and yacc I have only written because I suspected this might be your plan, but seemingly you prefer your own parsers instead of reusing other people's work. what is it that you want? why do you think a c-parser could help? as I implied, I have strong feelings against the c-command "for" and all other loop-commands, for all the reasons you mentioned and much more. do you feel the same? is that the reason? in my experience one can hide most loops in c++, and if there are no more explicit loops in the main-program, then also code-checkers will reliably work...

btw, a code-checker would be also a good application of tcc. this is my major reason why I write all this stuff on programming-languages in this thread. when I manage to hide all loops in the used libraries and put my code through some specialized code-checker (which I would like to write), then there is absolutely no possibility to shoot into the own foot -- instead the libraries will take over that duty...
Laughing

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message