FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » New packages announcement
Re: New packages announcement [message #22047 is a reply to message #22045] Mon, 15 June 2009 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
If I extend C I will break working code. If I extend C++ I will break working code again. This is not an issue, it is a design choice. As I said C is not a good practical language and making it backward compatible would "doom" it from the start. And I don't really want to extend it, rather than replace all unsafe features with safe ones, basically creating a new systems programming language which is as safe and clear Java and has the performance of C, but with slightly more memory consumption (arrays have sizes). The memory consumption of 8 bytes per array is not that much, and ii a lot of times you won’t even have that, because as I said earlier, you often pass the length along the pointer so you can optimize by structure size. Also, our build machines have 16 GB RAM .

And believe me, I have tried every single programming language that has a fair user share and about 20 GUI toolkits before I have stumbled upon U++. U++ is the perfect GUI toolkit for me, and C++ is the perfect language (but with extremely archaic technology behind it). When I started using U++ I was doing desktop software, but I'm not doing that anymore.

But one cannot choose his programming language. In the domain I work (industrial printers) there are only two choices: C and C++. I'm researching my language proposal to see if one can merge the ease of use of C++ RAII semantics for easy resource management with a classic non OOP based way of working like in C, but in the meantime making C extremely safe.

And NULL terminated strings are not fast. You need to check the whole string to determine the length. I understand that a lot of operations on strings are serial by nature and this disadvantage disappears, but there are also a lot of operations which are not serial. Take for example strings which have a known length which is padded with zeros up to the platforms integer size (32/64 bits). You can write an optimized strcpy which will use 32 bit moves and will never have to compare against zero vs. 4 times as many 8bit moves and comparing to zero. Which do you think is faster? Or 64 bit moves vs. 8 times as many 8 bit moves with null checking? Actually U++ does this for short strings. Or string concatenation, reverse find, binary search, etc. They all are more efficient when the length of the string is known, and since a string is an array, these algorithms will work on all arrays.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message