FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » New packages announcement
Re: New packages announcement [message #22102 is a reply to message #22047] Wed, 17 June 2009 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
cbpporter wrote on Mon, 15 June 2009 14:29

But one cannot choose his programming language. In the domain I work (industrial printers) there are only two choices: C and C++. I'm researching my language proposal to see if one can merge the ease of use of C++ RAII semantics for easy resource management with a classic non OOP based way of working like in C, but in the meantime making C extremely safe.

Ah, now I understand: you want to backport c++ features into c! you sound like the gnu-hurd project: they too have a problem with insufficient info about what a program wants to do. is that what you tried to say? do you want to give c-programmers a possibility for revealing more info on what they want to do with the ressources they got from the operating-system? especially your string-handling sounds like that: how large is it? is it constant size or will it grow? do you plan to read it, or do you only wish to make a copy? all this strong typing could be an improvement in c-programming -- even when it's merely implemented as a lib. in that case I would really like to help with the implementation of a compiler. this is also a feature I always missed. as you said, for string-handling the string-size is an important thing: if stringsize is large, then 0-terminating is a speed-up (as long as it's 4-8 bytes for 32bit respectively 8-16 bytes for 64bit filled with zeroes), with small strings it's a big hassle...

and don't get me wrong, I really do not believe you would be naive or something. I really just want to learn more about your project! and by the way, in my experience it is nonsense to present any design-paper without even trying to implement it first. during programming many issues will show up which could never have been noticed with a pure text description. you probably also know that, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned that project.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message