FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Basic questions about u++
Re: Basic questions about u++ [message #23271 is a reply to message #23270] Wed, 07 October 2009 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
irtech wrote on Wed, 07 October 2009 07:19

I actually have read those overview, comparison,... sections.
For example in comparison section there is a sample program that shows U++ far less coding than Qt, but I like to know is this a general rule or just a specific example which is not true in other cases?

It is a general rule. To create a qt application you have to follow the same "pattern" always. You have to create an QApplication class in main function, another class derived from QWidget (or QWindow), etc. In U++ you are not forced to do so and you don't have a main Application class.
Quote:

I presume volume of coding depends on richness of libraries. Does this suggest that U++ have richer libraries that Qt?
Richness of libs adversely affect dev time. I like to know is it safe to say that U++ dev time is shorter than Qt in most cases?
I especially mean big GUI applications.

I think U++ doesn't have riches libraries than Qt but are more efficient and overloading of some operators make you typing less. In some parts U++ API is better structured than Qt API and viceversa.
Quote:

Certainly I am not looking for a perfect dev language that has best performance, best libraries, cleanest code,...
I'm ready to compromise but I like to know what I have to give and in return what I will get.

mr-ped said U++ is more C++ like. I've read that U++ people had good reasons not to use stdlib but I like to know having these reasons in mind how U++ is more C++ like than Qt?

Qt has a "custom" C++. They are using moc(Meta Object Compiler) to handle their extensions to C++. If the following code looks like normal C++ code to you, then yes, Qt is more C++ like than U++ Razz
 class MyClass : public QObject
 {
     Q_OBJECT

public:
     MyClass(QObject *parent = 0);
     ~MyClass();

signals:
     void mySignal();

public slots:
     void mySlot();
 };

My C++ doesn't have signals and public slots keywords. So you have to send your source to moc compiler before sending to C++ compiler, else your Qt code is not valid.
Even if U++ doesn't use stdlib(STL)(for performance reasons) it's more C++ like than Qt.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message