FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » 32 bit .deb releases
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23933 is a reply to message #23932] Sat, 05 December 2009 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

andrei_natanael wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 19:31

Hello Honza,
We introduced gtk+ dependency because people expect to compile and run U++ examples unmodified(without flagNOGTK). g++ is not required to run theIDE but is a requirement to compile U++ examples and because the package doesn't install just theIDE executable but entire U++ framework, I think it's normal to provide g++ as a requirement and not as a recommended package else we have to split package in theIDE package and U++ development package and I think it's not what Mirek and others developers want and without a compiler what you'll do with theIDE?

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for reply... I understand your opinion and it's perfectly reasonable. But with all respect I still have some objections. Let me first quote debian site about package management:
  • "Depends" This declares an absolute dependency and all of the packages listed in this field must be installed at the same time or in advance.
  • "Recommends" This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency. Most users would not want the package unless all of the packages listed in this field are installed.
  • "Suggests" This declares a weak dependency. Many users of this package may benefit from installing packages listed in this field but can have reasonable functions without them.

All the programs I know (aptitude, synaptic and gdebi) install recommended packages by default without asking. So for average user, "recommend" means basicaly the same as "depend". But for me (and probably other people who are trying to keep their system clean and small) "depend" means installing unnecessary stuff. Just to illustrate the situation: my system consist of less than 900 packages, installation of upp asked me for additional 40...

There is no need to split the package in two (and I would vote against too). Concerning the compiler dependency: g++ is just a virtual package. It might be a bit nonstandard, but I have installed GNU compilers but not the virtual package g++. Also other people might wish to use different compilers (e.g. for cross-compiling).

Anyway, I apologize, this is bit off-topic from Koldos post. If there's any more discussion in this direction, it should probably be moved in separate thread...

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message