FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » I'm a U newbie
Re: I'm a U newbie [message #24675 is a reply to message #24579] Wed, 27 January 2010 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
alendar is currently offline  alendar
Very nice. Verbose: I love it! The commenting is slick now that I enabled it. I'm trying the optimal, hopefully it'll start to make sense how it selects between release and debug versions of external libraries.

Having fun with the logging functionality, though I wish it dated the logs like it does the buglog. I made my own Timer class since I wanted something more win32 specific. It looked like TimeStop was POSIX based and may not be as sensitive as QueryPerformanceCounter, which on my computer is coming up as 2.5 million ticks per second. I actually counted. Plus I like the Elapsed to come back in human time and not ticks.

I'm lovin the layout tool; its quick and does what I need without bogging down or being too simple either. This RAD as it should be. Dropping an RTIMING in windows is great, it looks like it calculates average time, which is really nice. The String class is quick, though I'm boggled as to how to upper case or trim a string. Should I register a custom format specifier? My first thought was "S" would make a good one. It fits the tradition of x and X, day and DAY.

I take the documentation comments to heart, by the way. In "About storing configuration" the writer says "...registry functions (we don't like them very much, honestly)...". So I don't use them. The LoadIniFile seems like a nice option, and the least likely to break after enhancements. I am leaning towards the last one listed, RegisterGlobalConfig. I know many parts of my code will want to update their configuration without funneling everything through some central list. We'll see. It looks straight-forward, but I think upgrades will trash the previous configurations unless I come up with a way to maintain versions of the serialized class. I'll experiment; maybe its more sturdy than I think.

Thanks again for the product! I'll send some change through the Funding widget as soon as I can. Its worth paying for. More than VS2010 and its incredible slowness.

I'm running Ultimate++ 1924 on Windows 7 with the VC2010 SDK. It compiled great except for a collision with stdlib on the 64bit abs definition. I renamed the one in core to "abs64". I know, a blatant hack. I apologize.

cd7651feeb698f6ac6cec1f6deda5e5b

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message