FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Form Designer
Re: Form Designer [message #24945 is a reply to message #24944] Fri, 05 February 2010 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 14:39

Actually, you can. MenuBar can work both as Frame or as normal child widget.

I use it as child in almost all of my commercial apps - if your main window is dialog based, it is usually easier to add menu as child.

I know that you can add it technically as a child, but you really can't add in in practice. Too much work. Without frame you would need to add resizing in Layout to handle main window resizing. Non-resizable dialogs are dead and a sign of very poor modern GUI design, and so are menus without some kind of frame separating them from the rest of the GUI. If I don't add menus in a frame, how can I add a TopSeparatorFrame without resizing code?

Quote:

What do you suggest? Left click? Note that I wanted to avoid "palette" of widgets - too much space on the screen.

(I am serious in asking here. I agree right-click is confusing for newbies).

Yes, "pallete" would be the only non confusing one. Tabbed pallete like Delpi is two lines wide an can contain hundreds of widgets. But I'm used with right clicking, even if after so much time I need to search for my widgets. But I think all widgets should be added, Option should have a a checked value in the properties editor, etc. Actually copying the Delphi/Visual C# properties editor would be IMO best.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message