FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » The power of Makefile
icon14.gif  Re: The power of Makefile [message #25223 is a reply to message #25220] Sun, 14 February 2010 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Matthias,

You've got my deep respect! I didn't expect anyone even trying my ideas, let alone doing some work. But you almost finished it and actually much faster than I expected that it would take. Very impressive!

I'm just testing the Makefile and trying to figure out how it works. I have problems to even find the parts that I wrote Smile But it seems to be working perfectly. Theide compiled perfectly on my machine, so I guess there should be no problems with other packages. And by the way, thanks for the hint with -j parameter for parallel builds, I didn't know it is that easy.

Now about the Makefile. First of all, I love the way you made it verbose. Reporting every step is really user friendly. I would even suggest (optional) hiding of the commands, so only the commands would be visible. About your TODO list: Numbers 1 and 2 should be easy. Just adding a variable with path on proper places. I'll try to figure it out. Number 3 is trickier, but most important. Currently, only uppsrc packages can be built, since other standard assemblies span across two directories. Hopefully we will find a way how to search through both.

Oh, and I almost forgot, another great think about this, that was not possible with the exported Makefiles: if you put it in directory with all sources, you can build any number of (main) packages to producing several binaries, while effectively caching the .o files. Similar way as theide does it. I think this is the biggest feature we have got here. I guess we could even add one more cycle and build multiple binaries at once with something like make "PKG=SocketClient SocketServer". Something like this is quite difficult to do in theide...

I would be very happy if this Makefile could be once distributed with U++ as an alternative to current exported Makefiles. I'm aware that it will never supersede it, because of it's complexity and also because the exported files are BSDmake compatible. This one just looks better to me. Even if just because it compresses 37000 lines into 150 Smile It is really elegant.

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message icon3.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Anybody still knowing anyone using Win98?
Next Topic: What do you think I should do?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:53:17 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05808 seconds