Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » ArrayCtrl vs. GridCtrl (A noob's perspective)
ArrayCtrl vs. GridCtrl (A noob's perspective) [message #25150] Fri, 12 February 2010 19:32 Go to previous message
alendar is currently offline  alendar
I started out using ArrayCtrl because I didn't see GridCtrl right off. It works good, but since it stores Value objects I wondered if it might not be faster if it was just string objects.

I found GridCtrl and got it to work. I put both next to each other and just flipped the names between them in the layout and compared the behavior on a large set.

My notes:
- ArrayCtrl has the Accel function, which filters keystrokes and scans ahead to the first matching grid item. I'll steal the code, clone GridCtrl and add it Smile because its a nifty feature for me. I'll probably try to make it multi-character, too.
- ArrayCtrl works with dynamically created windows, but GridCtrl blows chunks in the destructor somewhere. I shouldn't have been using dynamic construction anyway, but it's nice to know for when I do.

- GridCtrl has:
Viewable row count
Interactive row resize (I think)
3-state sort marker, ArrayCtrl is 2 state
Loads faster
Lets user size header height, which is nice
Doesn't flicker when multithreaded (GREAT!)
"live" mouse hover highlight works great
Default context menu is prettier, better icons
Has clipboard built in
Has alternating row coloring with single setting
Sorts much faster than ArrayCtrl for smaller sets
No memory leaks on either with MT (except with dynamic window)

I'm going with GridCtrl because of the no flicker. I use threads to populate the grid and let the user interact with it on the main thread, so flicker is considerable.

Anyone else try both? I'm curious what other differences there are when stacked up against each other.

cd7651feeb698f6ac6cec1f6deda5e5b

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2010 19:34]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: is there any way to embed a browser window in a U++ window or view the html direclty?
Next Topic: General comments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:32:30 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05945 seconds