FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Sharing and Locking
Re: Sharing and Locking [message #25909 is a reply to message #25908] Fri, 19 March 2010 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
gridem wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 02:44

luzr wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 01:50

Quote:

No, the considered situation is a bit more complicated. Because I used not shared_ptr for global variable but weak_ptr, the object will live until it will be destroyed in thread 1. But if I was successfull on converting from weak_ptr to shared_ptr, than the object lifetime will be longer and will be destroyed when loop in thread 1 and thread 2 will be restarted. In any case the object will not be in partial (or zombie) state when it will be destoyed in destructor instead of some method like Close, Destroy or other.

Well, that is not what I mean. What is bad about shared ownership is exactly that it makes the lifetime of object unpredictable.

Yes, lifetime object will be unpredictable in sense that if my shared_ptr will be destroyes that the object itself cannot be. But it's not a problem in most cases, you can treat it as automatic garbarge collector for C++. So if clients (thread 2) want to use object than you (thread 1) should not prevent them from any operation even if you don't need it. In my practice I cannot remember the situation when an unpredicted lifetime would be a problem.

File objects? Smile

IMO, works quite well as long as only memory is involved....

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message