Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » deb packages don't update user sources properly
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #26277 is a reply to message #26255] Tue, 20 April 2010 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
And to make clear where my ideas come from:

I'm thinking about common C++ Joe programmer...
He's been doing probably some wx, QT or GTK+ GUI programming, and he wants to try out some new IDE (not yet realizing the upp will change his life much more, bwahahahaha).

So let's see what he will do:
- start his favourite package manager
- search for C++ IDE
- +install upp
- click "apply"

What we want to happen:
- install all needed build stuff (gcc, whatever, basic libraries for SQL coding, SDL?, OGL?), suggest also all tools which can make big difference (svn, git?)
- install TheIDE, uppsrc, examples, etc.. the good U++ stuff
- put TheIDE into menu

Now Joe will run the IDE:
- wizard should automagically preset all the tedious stuff, i.e. GCC build method (with proper gcc, like avoiding defunct 4.3 or 4.4 or which it was), paths to libs
- ask about copy/svn/RO shared [uppsrc, examples+reference] with clearly marked recommended stuff

In ideal case there should be like 2 or 3 (max) clicks to let Joe into IDE, yet to let him know what was done with default setup and letting him know it can be adjusted later as well)

Then the "alien" choose package window comes ... :/ Hard to tell how to make this crash into upp softer, probably at least text explanation to new users should be there.

TheIDE at this point should be capable to compile and run most of the examples (at least all interesting, and I think SQL and SDL are interesting examples how far upp can be pushed), so Joe can just switch the packages, hit compile&run and watch.

That's the main case (IMHO) we should make sure it works absolutely flawlessly and as smoothly as possible.

Working on the svn/git wizard copies of uppsrc will also make life easier for more advanced users who keep some custom changes to uppsrc in their userland, but that's not about Joe.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Automatic nightly builds reastored - and reason(s) why it was failing (unodgs, please read :)
Next Topic: [PROPOSAL] Changes to packaging scheme
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 29 00:05:20 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00604 seconds