FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Hello, need a helping hand
Re: Hello, need a helping hand [message #26893 is a reply to message #26892] Mon, 07 June 2010 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Jerson!
jerson wrote on Mon, 07 June 2010 06:09

Is this because I use the mingw compiler? Is there a particular reason you recommend the VC++ express compiler over the mingw? I resisted the download of the MSVC++ compiler because it demands the .NET framework to be downloaded too. I already have .NET2.0, .NET3.0 and .NET3.5 fws on my machine. A little detail will help clear this for me since these are tools I've never used before. Are there some precompiled binaries for the bazaar apps for win32 that I can try out?

Yes, you hit the restrictions of mingw. The original mingw does not implement thread local storage which is crucial for MT applications. That is actually also the main reason why VC++ is recommended. But if you want to keep using mingw, you still can - just download the installer from Twilight Media Dragon site, delete the upp/mingw directory and install the downloaded one in the same place, it should work right away Wink This version of mingw is tweaked a bit so that it supports everything U++ needs. I personally have never used VC++ (I work mainly in Linux and when I need to compile something on windows occasionally, I use mingw, because I'm lazy to install NET Smile ).

On another note, is there some kind of comparison of a real world product that uses UPP vs traditional IDEs like VB or VC? I have almost made up my mind to do the crossover and a little nudge will help make that decision for me.

You can find some examples of real world apps in Applications section of this web. Also some other user created apps can be found on the designated section of this forum. Very nice example is Mindtravelers STermPro. And Sergeys industrial hardware programing is definitely a must read Wink

Please excuse the newbiesque questions. I really am a UPP newbie Wink and am grateful for the assistance you offer.

We like to see newbies here Wink Getting used to U++ is not easy and we know it, so we try to help as much as possible. But once you get familiar with the ideas of U++, you became an addict Twisted Evil

Regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: is U++ the right tool for this?
Next Topic: EditField ctrl and StaticText ctrl in a StatusBar crtl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 20:31:04 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02798 seconds