Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Porting Upp to SDL first ? (cause of MacOSX & framebuffer)
Porting Upp to SDL first ? (cause of MacOSX & framebuffer) [message #27207] Fri, 02 July 2010 10:19 Go to previous message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
hi folks

i just took a brief look on sdl again, and in some other posts here the idea of porting upp to Mac world has stucked a bit. to push it a bit, here is an idea..

why not porting to sdl first, which would support MacOSX and many other platforms at once as well, and then, little by little...to platforms natively (even framebuffer, as stated in some of my other posts). SDL programs can be compiled in Upp already, but standalone ofcorse..

here is some quote again from libsdl.org

Quote:

SDL supports Linux, Windows, Windows CE, BeOS, MacOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. The code contains support for AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, SymbianOS, and OS/2, but these are not officially supported.

SDL is written in C, but works with C++ natively, and has bindings to several other languages, including Ada, C#, D, Eiffel, Erlang, Euphoria, Guile, Haskell, Java, Lisp, Lua, ML, Objective C, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Pike, Pliant, Python, Ruby, Smalltalk, and Tcl.

SDL is distributed under GNU LGPL version 2.

RFC

PS: we at leas could take a look ad SDL in terms of how they bind with Objective C.. but i dont know exactly to *what* SDL bind, to the older Carbon API or the newer Cocoa API from MacOSX.

PSS: it would ne no great deal i think, becasue SDL offers just about same terms of interface, messageque and a blit surface, to which a SystemDraw could paint..

--> like always, RTFFAQ helps Smile

http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&categor y=7

so seams like SDL supports the Cocoa API already. best for us Smile

will there be a licence issue if we get "inspiration only" from LGPL code related to MacOSX in SDL (LGPL). is that considered derived work?

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2010 10:37]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message