Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Number of U++ Developers/Users?
Re: Number of U++ Developers/Users? [message #28319 is a reply to message #28314] Fri, 27 August 2010 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
pvozenilek is currently offline  pvozenilek
Promising Member
jerson wrote on Fri, 27 August 2010 02:47

Quote:

The documentation wasn't very helpful and the IDE itself gave no hint what one is doing. Eventually I admitted my inferiority and gave up.

I agree with you that the documentation needs to be improved. However, all is not lost and I think I can be cited as a prime example here. From total newbie in C++/Upp in June, I am now an intermediate Upp level coder. Just 2 months of pain and a little help from friends on this forum is what it took to reach here.

I will say "perseverance pays". Perhaps others will agree with me.

The problem is that I already have mental model how IDE work and this model has worked well for many of the tools (QtCreator is the other exception).

I have a larger application and UPP would help me to turn it multiplatform (the option to use different toolchains is a no-go for me). Its GUI would allow me to ged rid of message maps nightmare.

However the tool is so hard to crack for me that I do not dare to take the risks. Several executables, DLL based plugins, multiple versions (debug, profiled, custom, etc), absolute control over dependencies and outputs, ability to rebuild on a clean machine without any tinkering, ability to take out part of the project, develop it separately and then copy it back without need to modify the project. TheIDE may or may not provide this, who knows.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Russian U++ freelance programmer wanted