FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Problems in growing up from newbie
Re: Problems in growing up from newbie [message #28516 is a reply to message #28504] Sun, 05 September 2010 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
Quote:

All of a sudden last night, I realised none of the projects, be it mine or from any of the assemblies compiles and links. The linking phase was getting hung with 99% processor time. Out of frustration, I reinstalled the latest MinGw32 package 4.5.1 and Upp2625 which was working on my machine (I need the changes of Controls4u). Now, everything is back to normal and things are compiling and linking. I'm not sure if that can answer what I posted in another thread about problems in linking and compiling.

Since I don't post here much and probably don't know what I'm talking about, I'm reluctant to comment but I'm curious.

If the linker locks up, I don't see what that's got to do with being a U++ newbie or having advanced C++ knowledge. A linker shouldn't lock up no matter what input it's given.

What does "linking phase" mean? Does U++ go into a loop somewhere? If so, I guess you would have said so, and posted the output.

If re-installing the tools fixes the problem, then it doesn't seem likely that the problem is in the setup of your project... ah, but you said no projects will link - they all lock up. I guess a U++ expert could comment on what might cause this. If it happens again, I guess you could do a new install of firstly just U++ in a different folder, build a simple project and if it builds, compare files across the U++ directories to see what is different. If it doesn't build, then make a copy of your MingW folder, re-install MingW and compare the two MingW folders and try and build from the original folder. i.e. change just one thing at a time.

Googling for "Mingw linker hang" doesn't turn up much but I guess linkers hang occasionally, but if re-installing fixes the problem, it suggests something was corrupted somewhere.

Graeme

BTW - did you try "rebuild all"?

[Updated on: Sun, 05 September 2010 01:15]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help needed to program an array ctrl.
Next Topic: where can I find more info?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:20:43 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03067 seconds