FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Problems in growing up from newbie
Re: Problems in growing up from newbie [message #28645 is a reply to message #28517] Thu, 09 September 2010 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Here is somewhat relevant story: yesterday I opened up a project, made some modifications, but when I compiled things started to behave strangely. Things would not link up properly and the compiler ignored an obvious syntax error. It took me a couple of minutes to realize what it I needed to do: clean my projects. After rebuilding everything was fine. There are also other things that can happen. Because of BLITZ sometime you can't pull of some sloppy redeclarations or hacks like you could do in standard compiling model. Also, sometimes I can remove a method definition but leave the declaration inside, and it will not be picked up as an error because it can still find it somewhere. After a forced rebuild everything is working OK again and the linker will complain regarding the missing function.

I guess such problems are bound to occur and learning to recognize and deal with them is something that is part of "growing up". After the initial bafflement at the strange compiler behavior I knew that I need to clean my packages. A newbie would probably waste a lot of time or even give up on this beast called C++.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help needed to program an array ctrl.
Next Topic: where can I find more info?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:41:42 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02191 seconds