FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Few questions
Few questions [message #29636] Fri, 05 November 2010 05:48 Go to previous message
OvermindDL1 is currently offline  OvermindDL1
Greetings, I have a few questions left that I was unable to answer after a large amount of Google searching.

- Is there any Boost package, preferably to the trunk?

- Supposing there is not Boost trunk package, I would like to create one, preferably in a reusable way, such a way being that I would like to svn checkout/export into a predefined directory and tell the boost/trunk package to rebuild itself (or preferably have it notice that I svn checkout/export'd an update and issue the rebuild automatically). Of course Boost is on the *monstrous* side in terms of size and complexity, so I do not fathom wanting to port it to the U++ build system (as truly fascinating as it is, I am impressed by it), so I would prefer to just issue the bjam command directly on it, with command parameters being specified by various options in the U++ build system (if we have python, build Boost.Python for example, etc...). Through my delving of the UPP project format I can discern that I could do this, but do not yet have the skill to actually implement it, more digging will be required for that, in the mean time, any and all tips, tricks, etc... that could be thrown my way would be exceedingly appreciated.

- Is U++ able to update the source of a project automatically using svn checkout/export (does it come with an svn client in other words that I can call from script?).

- If I do port boost/trunk to a reusable UPP package, would anyone be interested in it in the bazaar?

The main parts of boost I am wanting are ASIO, Fusion, Phoenix, and Spirit for note, no where near any form of a U++ equivalent for those.

- Would also think of making a boost/upp package as well to include headers to let Boost work with many UPP structures, one of the nice things about boost is its extensibility to support other container, structure, etc... types, would this be welcome?

- Hard to get an indication from these forums (the bazaar forum appears to have even fewer submissions then Boost, and it is *really* hard to get a submission into Boost...), but how active is the community and so forth?

- Is there a good third-party package repository of various libraries 'ported' to the U++ package format for ease of use U++ projects?

- Is there a mailing list, IRC, newsgroup, etc..., or just these forums?

I shall have more questions later, but how about these to start with.

My background, been programming in C++ for going on 18 years, huge advocate of Boost, regardless of its monolithicly huge compile times in certain libraries (Spirit is such a great parser...), and I have a tendency to push things to their limits. Generally program in Visual Studio with the Visual Assist plugin for Windows, *nix, and Mac programming work (Virtual Machines are great) due to how amazingly productive it is, Visual Assist practically reads my mind it seems, testing out U++ + TheIDE to see if it will make a better 'native' multi-platform build engine and IDE, and as stated above, I am impressed with the layout of how builds work, tag based systems can be very nice.

EDIT: Another question

- Have you though about including clang++ as a build engine? You could even import its sema library to provide full VisualAssist-level and above code verification, analysis, intellisense, etc...?

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2010 05:58]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Simple thread example
Next Topic: Open file as stream for fgetpos(), fseek(), etc.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 03:54:54 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02710 seconds