Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Chameleon, graphic technology
Re: Chameleon, graphic technology [message #2442 is a reply to message #2441] Wed, 12 April 2006 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 12:40

Well, I disagree. After one year of searching, I think that the basic drawing model should be left as it is.

There are too many rendering options now and it will be better to leave them as extensions. Adding cairo (or AGG or GDI+ or QuickDraw) as the only model would IMO have serious impact on portability and performance.

To my knowledge, far not everything is accelerated in cairo. In the end, cairo is 2D memory surface painter for many ops, just like AGG etc... In fact, using OpenGL might work as nice decceleration in many cases (because you are forced to swap memory surfaces there and back all the time).

That said, my current intentions are like this:

Current Draw model being left just where it is. Then add "extensions", like cairo. In the code it should look like this:

void MyCtrl::Paint(Draw& w)
{
Cairo cairo(w);
cairo.DoStuff()....
}

Another reason is the printing problem. I have not checked that completely, but I am afraid then when you are going to print Cairo or AGG produced output, it simply gets rendered as large bitmaps -> slow. My customers would not be pleased when waiting for large reports.

Another things to consider, quite similar, is terminal access and X11 over the NET...

By using "extended" model for parts where it is really needed only, we can (I hope) have best of all worlds...

Mirek

I didn't make myself clear. I wanted cairo to be "under Draw" just like gdi or xlib is now. Just as a next rendering engine (used automaticaly if opengled env is detected). Of course if there is a better lib that use opengl we should go for it. I mentioned cairo because this is the only lib using opengl I know (and which really works (newest gtk use it)).

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message