Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » TheIde new look and new features
Re: TheIde new look [message #30946 is a reply to message #30914] Sat, 29 January 2011 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
mirek wrote

No, but it is debatable. I mean, what is going there that at some operations you simply store the position. Personally, I do not think this should happen with regular cursor movemement. Maybe jump to the beginning of file or end of file. Or maybe we can even make it configurable, it is quite simple.

Anyway, mechanism is already there, I guess there is no need to create some new one, just to refine the existing.

I didn't intend my comments to be a feature request. I was just trying to say that code navigation is more important than code folding because I'm navigating code continually but only need code folding occasionally. Code folding is useful for outlining of large functions. Attached is an example from a 1200 line function from slickedit "Slick C" source.

Most editors can display a list of function headings for the current source file (as MindTraveller suggested) but usually they do it through a separate dialog or drop-down list. Maybe the navigate in file dialog could let you restrict the list to function headings and use that to display a list of functions in the current file.

Go to matching brace is a common feature theIde doesn't seem to have - maybe context go to could do that when the cursor is on a brace.
Why doesn't the mousewheel work in the keyboard shortcuts dialog?

Regarding cursor retrace, I use it for swapping back and forth between two places in the code but also for cycling round the last few places I've been - which is a bit different to how web browser alt-left/right work because as soon as you go in a "new direction" the web browser throws away a bunch of places that you've just been to. Probably an easy one theIde could have is to jump back to the last place where you modified some code.

Anyway, I'm sure I could implement cursor retrace for theIde if I wanted to but my desire is to try and improve theIde help.

Graeme

[Updated on: Sat, 29 January 2011 01:10]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message