FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » About Painter vs OpenGL
Re: About Painter vs OpenGL [message #31494 is a reply to message #31486] Sun, 06 March 2011 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Well, this is certainly one of my favourite subjects, although I certainly do not know OpenGL nearly enough to say what can and can't be done.

Anyway, my point is that when comparing Painter and Draw simply as graphics programming interfaces, Painter provides a rich set of graphics primitives not available with Draw. Therefore, getting hardware acceleration available behind the Painter interface would definitely serve a purpose.

When I last checked, Painter defined three user selectable levels of rendering quality: No antialiasing, normal antialiasing and subpixel antialiasing. Whereas I gather from Mirek's notes that subpixel accurate results would be impossible or nearly so to achieve with OpenGL, what about basic antialiasing or no antialiasing at all? Would it be possible to implement a hardware accelerated 'SystemPainter' or 'OpenGLPainter' without subpixel antialiasing? I could certainly find use for it even with degraded image quality as long as rendering is ultra fast. (BufferPainter is always there to give the ultimate quality with its subpixel quality when speed is not an issue.)

So, Raxvan, if you know OpenGL well enough to implement Painter on OpenGL, even without any antialiasing, go ahead! Maybe prototyping on GLCtrl would help get things started...

Best regards,

Tom

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message