FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » [PROPOSAL] Changes to packaging scheme
Re: [PROPOSAL] Changes to packaging scheme [message #33158 is a reply to message #32691] Tue, 12 July 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
though splitting can save some download time it adds to complicity.

see the nvidia graphiccard driver. 200MB building up all the drivers for all the cards ever produced. but one knows: 1 file, all there.

download speed / time is matter of convenience. but simplicity when setting up the building environment is a key feature.

i'd rather prefer to 'apt-get install upp' and have all there..
this is true for releases.. which is also a problem, because the sources have a version interdependancy..exchanging them at will without managing the dependncy properly opens door to broken releases. so why the hassle? leave'm together and you know it'l work..

if splitting, i'd rather go for:

upp Base package: uppsrc, rainbow
upp Goodies package: reference,tutorial,examples,bazaar

the others are mainly for upp developers. and they probably know how to set up the env, so this could be left out.

upp Dev package (not to be confused with the *-devel packages): uppdev, archive, benchmark, uppbox, uppsrc2, upptst

but i think there is still lacking a docu on how to set up a bleeding edge building environment for active development in and with upp, means setup svn checkout, managing upp.out and building methods, 3rd-party installations, additional compilers, TDMGCC, MINGW...custom buildsteps (for wichi there is IMHO 0 doc available, thus i haven't used it at all).

so maybe first update / reinforce on documentation...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: deb packages don't update user sources properly
Next Topic: Release 11.10
Goto Forum: