FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Wayland & U++
Re: Wayland & U++ [message #33515 is a reply to message #33509] Thu, 18 August 2011 09:08 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I'm running Kubuntu Natty and wayland package is currently broken/uninstallable there due to some cairo dependency that has been deliberately disabled after causing other problems somewhere else. Nevermind, I'm sure it will get fixed in a year or two...

Anyway, after reading several articles on the web about what's going on with the GUI on Wayland and Windows 8 for that matter, I finally understood -- something the rest of you guys obviously figured out a long time ago -- that Rainbow backed with Painter are the most critical components required to keep U++ as a modern platform running on top of all important targets. The key issue here is the inevitable separation of (compositing) display server and graphics rendering -- now being moved to a responsibility of the application itself. This already happened on Windows a bit behind the scenes as GDI continued to work just fine, although the original architecture was heavily changed. Now Linux is on the line with Wayland coming up.

In future I can imagine different HW accelerated rendering solutions surfacing that will give more speed. I hope it will then be possible to wrap them inside the Painter API for easy utilization.

So, I wish to thank all of you people involved for your work on this important subject.

Best regards,

Tom

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: MVC example
Next Topic: Assist Open File in Solution?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 11:00:01 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03936 seconds