FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » NTL and C4251
Re: NTL and C4251 [message #2794 is a reply to message #2792] Tue, 25 April 2006 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jmansion is currently offline  jmansion
Promising Member
>OK, I believe that it can save some time as long
>as you have description ready before starting the job...

You must type a lot faster than I do then. I think its actually most handy when evolving the grammar. I like to write the grammar, and then write some candidate inputs and see if they feel right, for the things I want to express. And then change things around a bit and try again.

Having that sort of tool makes it easy - I don't add the AST code and semantic actions until I'm happy with the structure, and there's no way I could iterate that fast even using Java or C# with a hand-written parser, let alone C++.

I can't believe that anyone would argue that parser creation isn't a whole lot faster with a good generator tool, particularly if you care about whether your off-the-cuff implementation actually handles an ambiguous grammar in a particular way through accident - I'd rather have a formal grammar specification and a tool that can warn me of ambiguities. Not least, it also makes it easier to create alternate implementations in other languages.

Its certainly the case that a hand-written parser can be faster and have better diagnostics support, if you work hard enough at it.

James

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message