Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » umk got changed....
Re: umk got changed.... [message #34737 is a reply to message #34733] Fri, 09 December 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

nixnixnix wrote on Fri, 09 December 2011 08:11

well it fails to explain why it was decided to make it 100 times more complicated for no apparent gain but I guess I'm unlikely to get an answer on that one so I'll focus on why does the output path (which I fully specified) not get interpreted? How is that ":" sign used? Why is the build method not part of the syntax and and why isn't any of this in the documentation?

For starters Smile

Nick

Well, lets get more answers Smile I wouldn't say it is 100x more complicated, just a little bit. But it now offers much bigger flexibility. The previous umk was just a tiny wrapper around theide, so it had access to all of its configuration files. But it needed them - now you can use it as a standalone builder, without any configuration at all, even on systems where theide is not installed at all. Another reason for the change is that the new umk is CLI only application, so it can be used easily in scripts, especially on remote systems. Also, it is now platform independant, as you already noticed. Shortly, there was a lot of trouble with the previous solution, so Mirek decided to write a better one.

The documentation says all of what I posted before (with the exception of build method, which is missing, probably accidentaly, it is present in the examples at the bottom, sorry about that). Maybe in little less clear wording, but it is there, including an example. It is no problem to improve it as we go, all we need is a feedback from user, like yours Wink .

Now for the detailed usage... Lets assume a few things, you will have to change the paths accordingly to your real situation:

- Your theide.exe is located at C:\upp\theide\theide.exe
- Your umk.exe is located at C:\upp\umk\umk.exe
- in TheIDE you have trunk assembly set up, in which OpenWind package exists
- in TheIde you have build method called MSC10x64

Then a simplest possible build script then would be:
copy /v /y C:\upp\MSC10x64.bm C:\upp\umk\MSC10xx64.bm
copy /v /y C:\upp\trunk.var C:\upp\umk\trunk.var
C:\umk\umk.exe trunk OpenWind MSC10x64 -a1ev +PRO,GUI,MT,OCOE,CLIENT_WORP d:\Probuilds\WORP\openWind64.exe

Note that I haven't tested this, as I don't have windows Wink It should work when launched from any directory.

Alternatively, if trunk assembly consists of (for example) paths "C:\project\trunk" and "C:\upp\uppsrc" than from C:\ you could launch single liner
C:\upp\umk\umk.exe project\trunk:upp\uppsrc OpenWind C:\upp\theide\MSC10x64.bm -a1ev +PRO,GUI,MT,OCOE,CLIENT_WORP d:\Probuilds\WORP\openWind64.exe

I'm not sure what would happen if you used absolute paths (e.g. C:\upp\...) with the ':' notation, but I think it would fail (possible bug).

Ready for next round of questions, shoot Smile

Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon6.gif
Read Message
Read Message