Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34781 is a reply to message #34772] Mon, 12 December 2011 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Wolfgang,

This was already discussed here:
andrei_natanael wrote on Tue, 16 February 2010 00:29

sergeynikitin wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 23:35

Perhaps we put the notation language together with the flag?

Please, no flags! Smile
I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but not in this case. Flags sometimes make sense for that country habitants but not for others. I would like to be able to know which is Russian translation without having to know it's flag. Languages abbreviations makes more sense than country flag, in fact we are talking about languages not countries so flags doesn't fit in language context. I don't see any correlation between language and flag.

Andrei
(See this thread for full context)

My personal opinion is that in ideal situation user should need to switch the language only once in lifetime - when he makes a bookmark to his language of choice - and use that for the rest of his days Smile Or even better, never. The language could be selected automatically, based on browser setting (minor cases of people visiting the site from computers with different language settings would be still solved by clicking on some switch). I hope this will be the case with new W++ based web soon in the future Smile Anyways, the current switch in the footer is functional and simple solution that fully fulfills the intended purpose.

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message