Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Universal makefile & UppBuilder
Re: Universal makefile & UppBuilder [message #35386 is a reply to message #35384] Wed, 08 February 2012 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Didier wrote on Wed, 08 February 2012 23:24

Hi Honza,

I'm quite impressed, you went all this way just to enhance UPP build wow Shocked
It's my long-term project, I like to see how I can improve on the same topic as my skills are leveling up Smile Also, I'm actively using it to build packages in launchpad, to avoid chicken-egg problem with TheIDE, so that is a good motivation.

But managing all the portability issues with the make facilities is a pretty tough shot !
I tried to use only documented, POSIX compatible features, so as long as the tools on other platforms follow POSIX, it should work. Some of the POSIX specifications are linked in documentation, if you're interested Wink

I've been thinking for some while that boost-build is very well adapted to Upp package hierarchy and it works on WIN/LINUX/BSD/MAC/.... everywhere there is a decent C compiler.

boost-build is a build tool that has it's own syntax ( quite simple ) and that manages package dependencies (as in Upp) and it supports many compilers on many OS.
It is written in C ==> if you have a C compiler/linker and you can build it and then use it to build whatever you wan't ==> you don't depend on presence of make/gmake/imake/xxtools/...whatever.

On big gain is that the same "makefile" works on all platforms !! and that most common compilation options are available in generic form (optimisations, 32/64 bits, ...)

Hi Didier,
I've never seen boost-build in action, but I believe that if necessary I could almost match it's portability just by writing another backend in some common language. It should be possible to implement the builds in shell script or even in C and avoid make completely Smile But for now, I believe that supporting systems with make is enough. When the code is stable and bug-less, we can play with other possibilities Smile

Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message