Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW)
Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36447 is a reply to message #36444] Mon, 28 May 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
JohnGreek wrote

I'm using Code::Blocks for like 5 years and i'm kinda used to it. Plus TheIDE is not really attractive regarding it's UI and configuration. My personal opinion though..

I think is a matter of taste... theide is quite fast and comfortable, after you get used to it. Yep, it takes some time to master it.... mostly because of some lacks of documentation and some stuffs that can seem weird on first use.
When I tried it first time, I didn't like it at all, but now it's my only IDE Smile

JohnGreek wrote on Mon, 28 May 2012 00:06

thank you all for your answers but i really don't understand why there are no library files like any other library and i have to include all source/header or build or use TheIDE...

Well.. I guess there are many reasons :

1) Upp sources are updated *very* often, so if you work with source files, svn and TheIDE you can work on daily builds, which is a big advantage, IMHO.
Using a precompiled library, you'd have to update the library first, then your app, a 2 step approach.

2) TheIDE has some (small) caveats but some big advantages over other IDEs, mainly BLITZ that speeds up builds by an order of magnitude.

3) Upp uses some sort of "source plugins" that are linked on demand; that's done by special ".icpp" files which are linked in if you include the plugin package in theide; with other ides you'll run into (solvable) problems about it.

I've never build Upp without theide, but some other people did, so it's feasible, with some work. Anyways, you'll loose the packaging concept of upp doing so.

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:41]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon9.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message