Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Why do we have to manually add Core sub-packages?
Re: Why do we have to manually add Core sub-packages? [message #36737 is a reply to message #36736] Fri, 29 June 2012 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

jonarmani wrote on Fri, 29 June 2012 17:38

I have done the SMTP example here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/reference$SMTP$en-us.html

I couldn't compile it at first, then eventually figured out I need to add Core/SMTP to the list of packages in the upper left of TheIDE.

But Core was already listed, and my #include statement was to include Core/SMTP/SMTP.h. Shouldn't TheIDE have known where to look for the SMTP package? Why did I have to manually right-click Core, Add Package, and find Core/SMTP?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

The SMTP package is optional part of Core. Most applications can be compiled without it, so there is no need to introduce the additional files that would only slow down the compilation. So that is why it is not added automatically when you add Core.

Now the more interesting part of your question: Why it is not done automatically... My best guess is that it is because it is not needed that often - just a couple times over the entire application development. But it is an interesting idea and it would be quite easy to implement. It actually makes sense - I always get bored when I have to wait for all the nests being scanned for packages (i have rather slow hdd Smile ) when opening the Add package dialog, even though I new exactly what package I want to add and where it resides. Adding the packages automatically would make TheIDE even more efficient. Similarly, the packages could be automatically removed when the last relevant #include is removed from the code. That would be little trickier to implement, but still probably doable...

There are plans to do some major work on TheIDE in near future, so perhaps this feature might get in as well Smile Thanks for your suggestion!

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message