Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » [Tutorial] Using the Visual Studio IDE with U++
[Tutorial] Using the Visual Studio IDE with U++ [message #37554] Wed, 17 October 2012 11:25 Go to previous message
crydev is currently offline  crydev
Experienced Member
Hi there, I have been using U++ now for a few weeks. I like the library and the way of programming. However, there is one thing that I find very annoying. The packaged IDE "TheIDE". It lacks debugging features in my opinion and does not sufficiently supports me in my work with intellisense and auto-completion.

After two hours I managed to get my whole U++ application including libraries into Visual Studio 2012. It compiles, runs and now debugging is much easier to do. This topic is meant to explain to the community what I did, in case of any others having the same opinion as I have or just want to use the Visual Studio IDE anyway.

I use Visual Studio 2012, but this will probably work with 2010 and 2008 too. I'm not sure about 2005.

1. First you have to open TheIDE and compile every U++ package that you want to use in Debug mode. Make sure you have TheIDE configured with the compiler of the Visual Studio version you want to use!

2. Create a new folder somewhere where you can find it and place every output .lib file in there. With these files I mean Core.lib, CtrlLib.lib, etc.

3. Open up Visual Studio and create a new C++ Win32 project. Make it an empty project.

4. Open up the properties of the project by right-clicking on the project and clicking Properties.

5. Go to C/C++ and add the <upp directory>\uppsrc\ to the list of Additional Include Directories

6. Go to Code Generation and set Runtime Library to Multi-Threaded Debug (/MTd). Do not set it to MDD! This will generate errors.

7. Go to Linker and click General. Click Additional Library Directories to open up the list. Add the folder where you placed the compiled U++ lib files from step 2 to the list and click OK.

8. Go to Linker and click Input. Click Additional Dependencies to open up the list. Add the following libraries to the list:
- Winmm.lib
- Mpr.lib
- CtrlLib.lib
- Core.lib
- CtrlCore.lib
- bmp.lib
- png.lib
- z.lib
- Draw.lib
- RichText.lib

These libraries ofcourse are the ones my application needed. You also need to link a few Win32 libraries because the U++ libs need these.

9. Rename every .icpp file that does not compile in your project to .cpp.

10. If you are using .iml image files you need to change the include from:

#include <Folder/imlfile.iml>

to:

#include "imlfile.iml"

Try and compile your project. It should work as it did for me. There is one problem that I got by. However, if you want to use Visual Studio only for debugging this should not be a big problem. When you run your program from Visual Studio the GUI is not drawn properly. Buttons are black, borders are missing and arrayctrl headers are not drawn properly. If there are any other problems please report them.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 11:02]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message