Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » LineEdit, EditFields, DocEdit » need some expert advice to extend the LineEdit
Re: need some expert advice to extend the LineEdit [message #38148 is a reply to message #38145] Sun, 02 December 2012 19:56 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

navi wrote on Sun, 02 December 2012 19:16

Quote:

OK, so the reason is curiosity/self-education Smile I am OK with that...

Thanks for accepting the reason to help me. big thanks for spending your time helping me.
I'm helping because I believe that curious users like you might one day become a developers of U++ Wink

Quote:

To get idea of other capabilities of any class, it is always good to read the public part of its interface, the methods in U++ are usually quite self-explaining.

I agree. Most of the times they are. public interfaces of U++ class are almost hundreds of times easier then trying to make seance of the inner working of the classes themselves. though rarely but unfortunately at times the public interface aren't enough to extend the classes if need be. since codes and more impotently variables are un-commented make some times quite hard to understand them.
Yes, the internals are sometimes quite hard to read. I personally find it easiest to pick one distinct feature and search through all the related code to figure out where it comes to play and what code is necessary to make it work, ussualy starting at the method that turns the feature on/off, working my way inside the class using search to see where the variables are used and what function calls are made. This might not of course fit everyone, but it usually works for me.

p.s. A question lingering in my mind, in your dumb down version of Editorbar, it is not declared as friend in LineEditExtended class unlike the CodeEditor. was that because in this version there was no need to access any private members?
There was no need. The only place where it accesses the LineEditor is the few calls in Paint, and they are all public functions, so there was no reason to make it a friend class.

Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Custom check for EditIntXxxx controls
Next Topic: How to capture Key Press events?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 11:31:43 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01962 seconds